Saturday, October 27, 2012

Austrian Food, Part I

You know how portion sizes in the USA are supposed to be enormous in comparison to the rest of the world? Well, while I wouldn't disagree that portion sizes are out of control in the United States, I bought one of the biggest pastries I've ever seen today. It's called a Zimtschnecke, which means cinnamon snail! It's almost as big as my plate! I had to document the evidence.




Speaking of pastries, my favorite pastry that I've found so far is one that is made with nuts. It's very tasty and not too sweet, but unfortunately that bakery was closed today so I had to settle for this behemoth. 

I love that there are actual bakeries in Europe. I find myself going at least every other day, if not every day to pick up some fresh rolls or a pastry. I am starting to learn the names of the bread and don't feel like as much of an idiot when I order. There are signs in the bakery cases, but it can be hard to tell which sign goes with which bread or pastry, especially not being a native speaker! I had no idea there would be a learning curve with going to a bakery!

4 comments:

  1. okay, that's the biggest pastries i've ever seen too! but it looks delish though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty massive! The only other baked item that I've seen that was bigger were the pretzels at Oktoberfest.

      Delete
  2. America definitely needs some great bakeries! :) Zimtschnecken are huge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the cinnamon buns in norway look disgusting compared to that! they are so dried out here and norwegians just go crazy over them. i gag. im coming to austria for one of these babies!

    ReplyDelete