Monday, October 15, 2012

When it rains in Austria, it pours.

I don't know if the weather normally is like this in Austria, but the best way to describe the weather in Austria is wet and unpredictable.

Usually, when I wake up in the morning and go outside, it's so foggy that I can't see the mountains. I always check the weather before leaving and the humidity is also very high every day! And it rains a lot. And I mean a lot! I don't think I've lived anywhere where it rained this much! One of my teachers told me this is a little unusual, and I hope that's true. I'm just sitting here listening to it rain right now.

On Friday, I went with Holly, another TA, to Sankt Johann to go out to a bar. I checked the weather beforehand and it seemed like it might rain, so I grabbed my umbrella. On the way to the train station, it wasn't raining, but a slow drizzle started once I got to the station.

Upon arriving in Sankt Johann, the rain started pouring. Holly and I had to walk into town, uphill in what was pretty much a flash flood. I thought weather in the US was extreme, but that was some of the worst rain I've had the pleasure of walking in. Usually, going into Sankt Johann is a pain, because the town is situated on a hill. I was so focused on the rain that I didn't even notice we were walking uphill! We also got terribly splashed by a passing car on the way to the bar!

Once we made it to the bar, we were both completely soaking wet. Even though I had an umbrella and Holly had a hoodie on her jacket.

So this is Austrian weather. Can't wait until it snows!

2 comments:

  1. Oh no, you got to see the ugly face that fall can have in Europe. Yes, it can rain like this. But it can also be very, very nice. I sure hope you get to see some of those nice days, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually been very nice here this week! We did have a little bit of snow earlier this week, but yesterday and today were lovely. I heard it was because of the Föhn.

      I might be coming to München this weekend!

      Delete